AEM's Dyno-Shaft Sportsman on-vehicle dynamometer system is literally a dyno on your car. It is as accurate as the most respected dynamometers in the industry. It provides real, accurate Horsepower and Torque numbers that are produced by measuring a vehicle's Torque and RPM at the driveline, while you drive! The Dyno-Shaft Sportsman Series is designed for competitive amateur racers and serious performance enthusiasts whose applications can utilize a cast iron slip yoke. For higher stress applications, the Dyno-Shaft Pro Series kit features a CNC-machined Chrome Moly slip yoke.
- Eliminate Guesswork - Know for sure if slower times are due to a loss of power, vehicle set up or driver error.
- Engine tuning - Stop trying to approximate real world test conditions and start testing in the real world! Finally you can test with actual intake air conditions, actual vehicle loading and the hundred other things that make a real vehicle behave very different than it does when on a dyno.
- Chassis Set Up - Know when the tires will break loose. Ideal for optimizing drag launches and determining the longitudinal forces your tires can handle in road racing.
- Torque Converter and Clutch development - Finally know what your Torque converter or clutch is doing while you are making a pass!
- Dyno It All - The Dyno-Shaft accurately reads in all conditions including steady state, uphill or downhill, even while coasting down!
HOW IT WORKS
AEM uses a set of laboratory-grade strain gauges inside of a supplied calibrated slip yoke to measure Torque at the driveshaft. Essentially, the Dyno-Shaft slip yoke assembly becomes the sensor for measuring driveshaft Torque. This is combined with a driveshaft speed sensor to precisely measure the rotational speed of the yoke to determine RPM. The combination of real Torque and RPM readings allow the Dyno-Shaft to output Torque and Horsepower numbers as accurately as any dynamometer but in a more useful setting, and eliminates all of the inaccuracies associated with accelerometer or GPS based systems.
The data broadcast device (Controller) for the Dyno-Shaft yoke is non-contact, does not have slip rings, does not require batteries and is maintenance free. This Controller installs over the transmission tail shaft housing and allows information from the Dyno-Shaft to be transmitted via AEMnet (AEM's CAN bus communications network) to a data logger, AEM or other programmable engine management system or custom dash.
WHAT IS AEMnet AND CAN-bus?
AEMnet is a high-speed communications system based on CAN-bus 2.0 architecture. AEMnet allows you to daisy chain AEMnet-equipped products together using a single cable to connect each device, reducing the wiring time required to add devices. CAN bus (Controller Area Network) is a single- or dual-wire serial bus protocol that connects systems and sensors and allows them to communicate.
DYNO-SHAFT SLIP YOKE (SPORTSMAN SERIES)
The Sportsman slip yoke is manufactured from ductile cast iron and the splines are manufactured from a broaching process that produces industry-leading mating fit parts. Each Sportsman slip yoke is temperature compensated and individually calibrated for load through a multi-point process.
RECORDING, READING AND OUTPUTTING DYNO-SHAFT DATA
At its core, the Dyno-Shaft is a sensor that measures Torque and RPM and uses this data to output a vehicle's Horsepower and Torque in real time. You will need a 'host device' to record, view and output data from the Dyno-Shaft. The following devices are capable of reading and logging data from the Dyno-Shaft via AEMnet:
- AEM AQ-1 Data Logger
- The AQ-1 is the ideal host device solution for the Dyno-Shaft as it provides the broadest set of features and functionality, including:
- The ability to create dyno charts which can be saved, printed or shared electronically.
- The AQ-1 is a full featured data logger, so continuous power data can be recorded and replayed along with a wide variety of other vehicle information. See AQ-1 product page for more information.
- AEM Series 2 Programmable EMS
- Like the AQ-1, the Series 2 EMS allows logging of continuous power data which can be replayed along with a wide variety of vehicle information however this device currently does not feature the ability to create dyno charts. This functionality will be added in the future.
Certain CAN-enabled devices from other manufacturers are configured to read Dyno-Shaft data. If you do not have one of the AEM devices listed above you will need one of the devices listed below, and will need to confirm that it can read the data from the Dyno-Shaft by contacting your manufacturer:
- CAN-enabled Data Logger
- CAN-enabled Programmable Engine Management System
- CAN-enabled Racing Dash
AEM DYNO-SHAFT SPORTSMAN FEATURES:
- Measures Torque and RPM at the driveline to deliver real Horsepower and Torque numbers
- Does not skew readings like accelerometer-based units
- Eliminates guesswork when troubleshooting or making changes at the track
- Laboratory-grade strain gauge requires no slip rings or batteries and is maintenance free
- Create dyno charts which can be saved, printed, or shared electronically (requires AQ-1 Data Logger)
- Sportsman slip yoke is manufactured from ductile cast iron
- Sportsman slip yoke splines are manufactured from a broaching process that produces industry-leading mating fit parts
- Sportsman slip yoke is temperature compensated and individually calibrated for load through a multi-point process
- Can be used with the AEM AQ-1 data logger, AEM Series 2 EMS, and some third party CAN-enabled engine management systems, data loggers and displays
Note: Dyno-Shaft On-Vehicle Dynamometer is a valuable diagnostic tool which must only be used in a safe manner and in compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. All users of this product agree that AEM shall not be responsible or liable for any personal injury, property or any other type or kind of damage(s) resulting, directly or indirectly, from non-compliance.