A Plug & Play Stand Alone ECU for Porsche 997.1 Turbo Race Vehicles
The Infinity ECU (PN 30-7109) and Plug & Play Adapter Harness for the 2007-’09 Porsche 997.1 Turbo (PN 30-3901). When combined with AEM’s Plug & Play Adapter Harness, the Infinity completely replaces the factory Porsche ECU and does not require any additional accessories, sensors or modules for proper operation. Installation can be completed in about an hour when using all of the factory sensors.The manual transmission 2007-09 Porsche 997.1 Turbo M/T Plug & Play includes several unique features that incorporate the Porsche’s factory CAN bus system.
A Complete Stand Alone ECU for the Porsche 997 Turbo
The Infinity ECU combines with the Plug & Play harness to replace the Porsche 997 factory ECU. It controls all of the engine functions including the VarioCam Plus, Wastegate-less turbos and Drive by Wire (DBW) system.
Plug & Play Harness with Expansion Port
AEM’s sealed, weatherproof Plug & Play harness (sold separately) includes an AEMnet port for communication with other AEMnet enabled devices and CAN integration of the factory inputs for brake switch, clutch switches, cruise buttons, wheel speed sensors, sport button, coolant fans and A/C. The factory dash remains functional (coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, tachometer, dash lights/notifications, boost pressure readout, etc.).
An expansion port with a Deutsch DTM 12P connector is included in the Plug & Play Adapter Harness for adding common aftermarket sensors including fuel pressure, air inlet temperature, MAP, boost control solenoid and ethanol content. The expansion port also includes a sensor ground, 5v reference, power from relay and high side output for activating a solenoid, and switched inputs for boost target, no-lift shift, etc.
Full Drive-by-Wire and VarioCam Control
The Infinity ECU for the Porsche 997.1 provides two Drive-by-Wire profiles and complete control of the engines’ VarioCam Plus variable valve timing system for optimizing mid-range torque. The factory Sport button is used to change DBW throttle curves.
Full Engine Support for Mass Airflow Sensors, Wastegate-less Turbos and More
AEM’s Porsche 997.1 Infinity ECU supports both stock mass airflow (MAF) sensors and does not require the addition of a MAP sensor for operation. The factory wastegate-less variable turbine geometry turbos used in the 997 Turbo are also supported, as are the factory electronic bypass valves.
The Infinity ECU also provides full support for:
- Stock charge pressure sensor
- Engine compartment temp sensor
- Engine blower fan
- Electronic water pump
- Dual stock fuel pumps
- Dual stock EGT sensors
- Dual stock UEGO sensors
Racing Enabled Functions via Configurable Cruise Control Buttons
On the Porsche 997.1, the Infinity programmable ECU delivers the ability to enable racing functions through the Cruise Control buttons. Using InfinityTuner software, users can now select from 8 modes for boost control maps, fuel maps, timing maps, Lambda target and select maps on the fly using the factory cruise UP ( ) and DOWN (-) buttons. AEM incorporated the Infinity’s map switching capability into the factory steering wheel buttons, eliminating the need to wire in and mount an ancillary position switch.
Users can configure the CRUISE CANCEL as a temporary three step limiter switch through the InfinityTuner software (vehicle speed or time after launch dependent), and can set rev limits at specific rpm by points or set a flat limiter and use it as an RPM hold for launches. Launch anti lag and traction control slip target can also be programmed.
The Porsche 997.1 Turbo come with wheel speed/ABS sensors from the factory, and the Infinity is able to use them for traction control via fuel cut, spark cut, spark retard or retracting DBW throttle response. This eliminates the need to install additional sensors for traction control.
The CRUISE SET/HOLD can be configured as a traction control enable or disable button through the InfinityTuner software. Users can define a specific slip target for traction control in the software and turn it on or off using this button, or set two slip targets and use it for a mild and aggressive traction control strategy.
User Definable DBW Throttle Response
Using the Sport button near the shifter, users can define throttle curves in the InfinityTuner DBW software and take full control of throttle response. This allows users to change throttle response rate on the fly and is ideal for setting rain mode throttle curves.
Fits In Factory ECU Location
AEM’s engineers have designed the Infinity ECU and harness to fit in the factory ECU location under the shelf to maintain overall weather resistance of the electronics.
Users can configure a number of analog, digital or CAN inputs to enable starting when using the Porsche 997.1 Infinity ECU and Plug & Play Harness. The supplied base calibration is configured to allow factory like starting with the clutch switch, or by pressing the cruise control enable button to effectively bypass the clutch switch. For added security, users can install a hidden switch to enable starting, and can fully disable the 2D Start Enable table and password protect it, preventing starting until the table is unlocked and re-enabled through password input.
200MHz Processor and Real Time Operating System
Late model vehicle ECU’s all run on faster processors. The Infinity ECU is built around a latest-generation 32 bit floating point 200MHz automotive processor and Real Time Operating System (RTOS), which is capable of processing 400 MIPS (millions of instructions per second). By comparison, common competitive systems typically use 20MHz to 50MHz processors. To our knowledge, the Infinity ECU currently has the fastest processing speed of any aftermarket Motorsports ECU available. This allows the Infinity to do more, faster, in a more stable programming environment.
- The Infinity’s 200MHz processor and RTOS makes the Infinity more responsive, for a better driving experience
- The Infinity’s 200MHz processor and RTOS allows for more accurate ignition timing, which enables an engine to create more power
- The Infinity’s faster processor allows it to perform more computational features with no sacrifice in processing performance
- The Infinity’s RTOS ensures strategic processing with optimized load balancing. This means that tuning one feature will not affect the performance of another feature
- Airflow model based (VE) tuning
- ECU Set Up Wizard simplifies start up
- Flex fuel compatible
- Multi fuel capable
- Drive by wire
- Variable valve control
- Multiple boost control strategies
- Nitrous control
- Map switching
- Dual internal Lambda controllers
- Dual knock sensing circuits
- Data logging up to 64GB, up to 100 channels at 1KHz
- Outputs to 3rd party dashes and data loggers
- Industry leading data transfer speed (up to 480Mb/sec)
- Integrated engine protection strategies
- Sealed enclosure and IP67 rated comms ports
AIRFLOW MODEL BASED CALCULATIONS
Infinity’s airflow model based systems greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to set up and tune an engine by eliminating many of the lookup and trim tables (correction tables) necessary in previous generation ECUs. The Infinity’s airflow based, or volumetric efficiency (VE) based models calculate an engine’s requirements in real time based on an advanced algorithm that has various modes for calculating air flow. Once the user inputs an engine’s basic parameters (displacement, cylinders, ignition type, and firing order) and methods of calculation for airflow and ignition they can begin setting the engine’s VE table in the software.
InfinityTuner USER INTERFACE SOFTWARE
InfinityTuner is optimized for speed and performance. The software has the power to control a multitude of features found in today’s modern racecars, and features an advanced tuning Wizard to reduce set up time. An ECU Setup Wizard takes complex calibration setup work and simplifies it through a smart interface that features tabs for quick set up of vital engine functions. Each tab includes a description of the function.
InfinityTuner software is highly flexible. It allows you to choose from multiple strategies for boost control, idle control, traction control, charge air temp blend, launch control and more.
All controls in the Infinity ECU are synched to logged data which allows users to edit calibration data during log playback to minimize tuning time. AEMdata, AEM’s advanced data logging analysis software is also included for reviewing data logs.
ULTRA-HIGH RESOLUTION FUEL CONTROL
The Infinity ECU calculates injector pulsewidth in units of 1/10th of a microsecond (0.0000001 second). Individual cylinder fuel trim is included and user adjustable.
ACCURATE IGNITION TIMING UNDER ANY CONDITION
InfinityTuner software features a 3D ignition trim map (coolant and air temp based), and its back-end timing code is tested to 100,000 RPM. Individual cylinder ignition trim is included.
FLEX FUEL COMPENSATION
Flex fuel compatibility is included, and the Infinity is able to make automatic adjustments for ethanol content in the fuel with the addition of an ethanol content sensor (sold separately). MULTI-FUEL CAPABLE The Infinity has the ability to run two separate fuel types simultaneously through staged fuel injection DRIVE BY WIRE CAPABILITY
The Infinity-8/10 ECU can control one drive by wire throttle bodies and includes auto calibration for DBW sensors. It includes idle control, an optional drive by wire rev limiter (for use as a launch limiter, holding limiter or in conjunction with other rev limiters) and necessary failsafes based on redundant sensor inputs. Traction control via drive by wire will be added in the future at no additional cost for existing Infinity ECU owners.
The Infinity ECU uses a coolant temp based idle control model. It includes an RPM vs. Engine Speed Rate idle decel feature that provides accurate control of the IAC and allows for adjustment of engine braking. The Infinity’s idle TPS offset provides smoother low idle operation when necessary, like driving in the pits or return lane following a pass.
MULTIPLE BOOST CONTROL STRATEGIES
Choose from time, gear, vehicle speed, switch based or other boost control strategies. The Infinity’s boost control includes two 2D base duty tables and two 2D boost target tables. The second tables can be used as a trim, and users can choose from multiple strategies including IAT, MAP, Baro (kpa), throttle %, flex fuel content, boost target and more. Please visit our Forumfor an in depth review of the Infinity’s boost control capabilities.
The Infinity’s software allows you to run a single-stage wet or dry nitrous set up (four-stage available soon). This feature includes nitrous timing delay to account for nitrous bleed out, and can be set up for water/methanol injection tuning.
VARIABLE VALVE CAM CONTROL
Set base duty, limit and VVC cam target for up to four cams through the InfinityTuner Wizard. Users are able to achieve a VVC cam target by setting Cam 1 base timing and base duty cycle % in a 2D table, and the software features a 1D base duty % table that controls the base duty cycle for the VVC output, which is tunable based on the VVC target.
The Infinity includes up to four separate ignition maps, four separate Lambda maps and two separate VE maps with independent values. Using AEM’s 12 Position Trim Pot, this powerful feature delivers many valuable tuning options including:
- Multiple maps for multiple track conditions (practice map, rain map, qualifying map, FTW map)
- Change boost target
- Change Lambda target
- Change ignition target
- Tie boost, Lambda and ignition targets together and change them all
- Ideal for test mapping during tuning
- Change boost base duty
- Control PWM switches (like water/methanol injection)
- Choose between 2 VE tables for VVC or when restrictors are in place
- Blend between flex fuel ignition maps
- Blend by cam position and gear
Multiple engine protection strategies are incorporated into the Infinity ECU. Available strategies include:
- MAP (create limp mode using Assumed Pressure Ratio table to compensate for pressure if sensor fails)
- Overboost (boost fuel cut until boost/throttle decreases)
- Fuel pressure (injector flow compensated for variations in pressure, sensor required)
- Oil pressure (trigger light or limit RPM if pressure drops below set value, sensor required)
- RPM (rev limiter)
- Coolant temperature, Temp vs. RPM (fuel and ignition cut, sensor required)
- Knock control with feedback
- Lean protection (fuel and ignition cut)
REAL-TIME ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS
The Infinity’s diagnostics software can be configured to constantly monitor signal and current quality to alert the user of a potential issue before it creates the potential for engine damage.
INTERNAL WIDEBAND CONTROLLER
Dual Bosch wideband controllers are built into Infinity-8/10 ECUs. This provides highly accurate closed-loop AFR targeting and enables the sensor diagnostics in the ECU to determine the operational condition of the sensor.
LIGHTNING-FAST DATA LOGGING
Infinity’s logging feature supports 2 different file systems. A custom file system option will support 100 channels at up to 1 KHz using a high performance USB flash drive (sold separately). A standard FAT file system will support 10 channels at up to 1KHz, 20 channels at up to 500Hz or 100 channels at up to 200Hz. The Infinity includes a 4GB USB memory stick and the user can replace this with up to 64GB. Additionally, the user can also log direct to the PC at up to 500Hz when connected.
AEMdata DATA ANALYSIS SOFTWARE
AEMdataprovides an advanced interface for viewing the log files generated by the Infinity ECU.
DUAL KNOCK SENSING
Dual knock signal conditioning circuits allow for precise measurements of knock levels. The Infinity can utilize both Piezoelectric and Flat Response type knock sensors.
The Infinity ECU is constructed using automotive-rated components designed to withstand the harshest racing environments. Its enclosure and connectors are sealed to make it suitable for engine bay mounting. An advanced wear-leveling strategy for flash memory ensures a lifetime of reliable performance.
The Infinity ECU is able to transfer data via USB at up to 480 Mb/second. It features a fully-sealed IP67 communications connection system.
INFINITY EMS CAPABILITIES:
- Airflow model based calculations
- Fuel control resolution to 1/10th of a microsecond (.0000001 sec)
- Multi-fuel capable
- Flex fuel compensated – fuel, ignition and boost with blend
- Open-loop fuel pressure compensation
- Ignition table, 20x20
- VE airflow table, map vs. engine speed, 20x20
- Configurable coil dwell (RPM, voltage and load based)
- Individual cylinder ignition trim (RPM based)
- Individual cylinder fuel trim (RPM based)
- 3D ignition trim maps (coolant and air temp)
- VE-based engine startup
- Real-time sensor diagnostics
- Integrated engine protection strategies
- Dual internal wideband controllers
- Target Lambda table, 10x10
- User adjustable charge temperature blend (CLT/AIT, engine speed dependent)
- O2 lean-out protection
- Electronic boost control (time based or target based)
- Idle control (stepper and pulsewidth)
- Programmable traction control, 2-wheel speed or engine acceleration (4-wheel speed with Advanced Tuning Package)
- 2-channel adaptive knock control
- 2-step programmable launch control (3-step with Advanced Tuning Package)
- No-lift shifting (Requires Advanced Tuning Option)
- User configurable soft-cut rev limiters
- User configurable anti-lag
- Single-stage nitrous control coming soon (3-stage with Advanced Tuning Package, coming soon)
ADVANCED TUNING PACKAGE:
Advanced Tuning Functions:
- No-lift shift
- 4-wheel speed traction control
- 3-step launch control
- Drive by wire
- 3-stage nitrous control (coming soon)
Advanced Tuning Hardware Outputs:
- 1 high side driver (coming soon)
- 2 H-bridge channels
Advanced Tuning Inputs:
- 2 analog voltage inputs (4 additional coming soon)
- 2 VR/Mag differential pair inputs
- 1 digital/frequency input (coming soon)
- 3 analog temp inputs (coming soon)